ACTON REQUIRED: Information on Medicines Shortage - Nardil (phenelzine sulfate 15mg tablets)
17 July 2019
Please be aware that there is an important drug supply issue affecting:
Nardil (phenelzine sulfate) 15mg tablets (MAOI) supply issue
- Kyowa Kirin, the sole supplier of Nardil (phenelzine sulfate) 15mg tablets in the UK, have informed the Department of Health and Social Care that due to manufacturing delays, Nardil will be out of stock from the beginning of August until at least the end of October 2019.
- DHSC have contacted specialist importer companies, who have advised that unlicensed imports can be sourced from abroad.
- UK Medicine Information have also published guidance on management including the need for specialist referral to mental health teams if unlicensed supplies of phenelzine sulfate 15mg tablets are deemed unsuitable: https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/shortage-of-phenelzine-15mg-tablets-nardil/
Local Action required:
- For patients who do not have sufficient supplies of Nardil (phenelzine sulfate) 15mg tablets for the duration of the expected out of stock period, clinicians should consider prescribing an unlicensed preparation of phenelzine sulfate 15mg tablets as soon as possible in order to avoid abrupt withdrawal. Clinicians will need to work with local pharmacies to understand more about the specific unlicensed products that can be sourced and associated lead times.
- In order to minimise the disruption this may cause locally in terms of patients seeking GP appointments, GP practices may want to consider using local IT systems to identify patients who may be impacted by this shortage and to manage these patients by prescribing unlicensed supplies or referring back to a specialist team in good time, where appropriate.
- Clinicians should refer to the UKMI memo for advice on alternatives: https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/shortage-of-phenelzine-15mg-tablets-nardil/
If you have any queries please contact email@example.com